AMIC has developed a testing device, the ‘Advanced-Mixed-Mode Bending device (AMB)’. It guarantees accurate and fast evaluation of interface properties.
Accurate mixed-mode fracture mechanical data is the prerequisite for a successful design for reliability. Especially for interfaces, the fracture toughness is usually not readily available, as it depends on processing conditions, loading angle, moisture, and temperature as well as the loading rate.
The AMB tester is the only testing equipment that can routinely handle small samples as e.g. cut from the package itself without gluing or clamping. To avoid transfer effects, the tester only touches the sample in compression. It requires only two samples to characterize each angular branch of the energy release rate curve, thus exploiting available samples to the max.
- Device to test mixed-mode depending adhesion strength of bi-material interfaces
- Specimen centered design to test artificial and product origin
- Two independent actuators to cover wide bandwidth of mode-mixity in one test
- Optical observation of delamination progress during tests
- Crack tip detection by DIC
- Finite Element calculation of the critical energy release rate using test parameters and loading data
Advantages of AMB:
- Use of specimens directly from the production line, even package size possible → process is represented to 100 %
- Measurement time is significantly shortened compared to other methods
- One Gc (ψ) curve with ≥ 2 specimens possible
- Applicability of fracture mechanics as a standard tool in system design